The ESA is seeking to recruit 1 new member of the ESA Research Committee.
The vacancy will occur as of 15 May 2020. Deadline to apply is 15 September 2020, 23:59 CET.
The ESA Research Committee plays an important role in the activities of the Society.
The main duties of the Committee are:
- To review and evaluate the ESA Grants and Grants and Prizes applications in the fields of clinical and basic sciences relevant to Anaesthesia, Peri-operative Medicine, Intensive Care, Emergency Medicine and Pain
- To review and evaluate the ESA CTN Grants applications and play an active role in the promotion and improvement of the activities of the Committee
- To play an active role in the ESA Clinical Trials Network (ESA CTN)
- To participate in the selection of topics and to the organisation of the ESA Masterclasses
- To attend meetings of the Research Committee
The Research Committee is usually composed of 10 members (including the Chairperson, the Past Chairperson and the Scientific Committee Chairperson).
The Research Committee member will meet the following criteria:
- Must be a qualified anaesthesiologist
- Must have been an ESA active member for at least one year
- Experience in writing grant applications and obtaining competitive funding
- Expertise in clinical and/or laboratory research is required
- Established academic reputation
- Links with national/European anaesthesiology societies
- Fluency in English
Gender balance and representation on the Research Committee from throughout Europe is encouraged and no more than two representatives working professionally in the same country (except for ex-officio or co-opted members with no voting rights), and no more than one representative from the same institution, can sit on the Committee. List of current Committee members is available here.
Term of office
Term of office will start on 1 January 2021. The tenure is for three years, renewable twice for one year (maximum of 5 years).
Travel expenses to attend meetings (usually held twice a year) are provided according to standard ESA reimbursement policy.
How to apply
To apply, please send the completed application form and your CV to the ESA Headquarters at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following subject ‘ESA Research Committee – Member vacancy 2021’ no later than 15 September 2020 (23:59 CET).
If you would like to discuss any aspect of this position, please contact Prof Thomas Fuchs-Buder, Chairperson of the Research Committee.