Chairperson of the European Society of Anaesthesiology Research Committee
The ESA is seeking to recruit a new Chairperson of the ESA Research Committee.
The three-year tenureship of the Chairperson of the Research Committee (RC) of the ESA becomes vacant on 1 January 2021.
The new Chairperson will take over from Professor Thomas Fuchs-Buder, and will liaise closely with him in the months following 1 January 2021. The RC plays an important role in the activities of the Society. The Committee is composed currently of nine members. The RC Chairperson position requires close liaison with the Research Department of the ESA Secretariat in Brussels throughout the year via bi-monthly phone call to:
- review grant applications in the fields of clinical and basic sciences relevant to Anaesthesia, Intensive Care and Pain Medicine, and to make recommendations for the award of grants.
- advise on the organisation and management of the grant evaluation process.
- advise the ESA Board on the range of research grant schemes offered by the ESA.
- advise on the organisation and management of the Research Mentorship Programme.
- play an active role in the improvement of the activities of the Committee.
- play an active role in the ESA Clinical Trial Network.
The appointed Chairperson will be required to attend 3 to 4 meetings of the Research Committee. Travel expenses to attend meetings of the Committee are provided according to standard ESA Reimbursement Policy.
Applications are encouraged from active ESA members across Europe who meet the following criteria:
- Established academic reputation;
- Experience in writing grant applications and obtaining competitive funding;
- Experience in reviewing grant applications,
- Expertise in clinical and/or laboratory research is required.
- Applicant must have been ESA active members for at least 2 years on the day of the application deadline.
Term of office
The new Chairperson of the Research Committee will become the Chairperson on 01 January 2021. The Past-Chairperson will remain a member of the RC for 18 months after the end of his term as Chairperson.
How to apply?
If you are interested and wish to apply, please send by e-mail:
- The application form available here
- Your Curriculum Vitae, which should detail how you meet the criteria,
- List of publication, including Hirsch Index (that must be calculated via Scopus)
- Short outline (maximum one page A4) of your perspectives as RC Chair.
Applications must be received to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 15 Sept 2020 (23:59 CET) with the following subject ‘ESA Research Committee Chairperson – vacancy 2021’.
The appointment will be made by the ESA Board following a recommendation by the Nominations Committee. It is possible that interviews will be held at the ESA Secretariat to select the successful candidate.
If you would like to discuss any aspect of this post, please contact:
Prof. Thomas Fuchs-Buder
Chairman ESA Research Committee
For more information about the ESA Research Committee.