The ESA is seeking to recruit a new Chairperson for the Examinations Committee. The Examinations Committee is responsible for supervising/coordinating/advising on the organisation of the European Diploma in Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care (EDAIC), and maintaining/improving the standard of the examination. The Committee Chairperson sits in all the Examinations Subcommittees and reports to the ESA Board of Directors.
The main duties of the Examinations Committee Chairperson will be the following:
- Lead the development of the EDAIC and strive to maintain its high standard.
- Liaise with the Examinations Committee and Subcommittee Members as well as with the ESA Board of Directors regarding strategic decisions.
- Establish and maintain relationships with National Societies of Anaesthesiology, Specialist Societies, National Authorities and other key contacts regarding the promotion/evolution/status of the EDAIC and other examinations.
- Work with the Examinations office on important organisational/logistical matters related to the examinations.
- Lead the Examinations Committee meetings taking place twice a year (in May/June at the Euroanaesthesia Congress and in October, which can clash with ASA meetings). Additional WebEx meetings can take place up to three times a year.
- Participate in the selection process of the Examinations Committee and Subcommittee Members.
- Travel and attend various meetings on behalf of the ESA, including the meetings of the following ESA Committees as much as possible: Education, CEEA, e-Learning.
- Attending meetings of the ESA Board of Directors on an ad-hoc basis.
- Follow up on examinations-related discussions of the ESA Board of Directors on an ad-hoc basis.
The candidate must have the following profile:
- Must have been an ESA Active Member for at least two years, i.e. as of January 2018.
- Must be consultant (i.e. not in training; retired anaesthetists cannot apply).
- Must be in clinical practice (i.e. not working for research only).
- Practising anaesthesia in a hospital with trainee anaesthetists.
- Experience in teaching and educational activities.
- Examination-related experience and familiarity with the European Diploma in Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care or with the National Board Examination of their country.
- Previous leadership in or support from National Authorities highly desired but not required (e.g. University, Colleges, Associations, Ministry of Health).
- Previous administrative involvement in an examinations (sub)committee is strongly preferred (1).
- Public involvement in international/European anaesthesiology is a plus.
- Good command of English; other linguistic skills are an asset.
- Communication and networking skills.
- Diplomatic qualities.
- No conflict of interest to declare.
(1) Nobody can serve for more than 8 years as Member of the Examinations Committee, including the subcommittees, and for more than 12 years for a combination of Member and Chair (Chair + Chair-Elect + Past-Chair + Member) in the Examinations Committee, including positions in the Part I, Part II or OLA Subcommittees.
TERM OF OFFICE
He/She can serve for a term of three years, with the possibility of successive one-year appointments up to a maximum of eight years. The future Examinations Chairperson will become Chair-Elect of the Examinations Committee from 1 January 2020 (official start date even if starting later in the year) and then Chairperson of the Examinations Committee from 1 January 2021.
Travel, accommodation and other necessary expenses incurred to attend meetings or examinations are covered by the ESA as per the ESA Expense Reimbursement Policy.
Any questions? Please contact email@example.com.
HOW TO APPLY
(1) a Curriculum Vitae (maximum 3 pages in English language)
(2) your filled in Application form
(3) the supportive documents from national authorities mentioned in the application form
to the ESA headquarters at firstname.lastname@example.org before 18 April 2020 23:59 CET (please do not send e-mails heavier than 5MB). Complete applications will be reviewed by the Examinations and Nominations Committees and the outcome will be communicated at the earliest. Please note that an interview, formal or by phone/Internet, of short-listed candidates may be organised.