The ESA is seeking to recruit an enthusiastic and motivated new Chairperson to the eLearning Committeeto assist in evolving and advancing eLearning in the Education Department of the ESA.
The position for a three-year mandate becomes vacant on 1 January 2021.
eLearning plays an important role in the development of professional education and is of the utmost value in the current Mission and Vision of our Society.
The new Chairperson will take over from Prof. Leila Niemi-Murola and will liaise closely with her. The Committee is currently composed of five members. The eLearning Chairperson post requires close liaison with the Education Department of the ESA Secretariat in Brussels throughout the year to:
- Produce eLearning modules and other web-based educational products, some of which are created jointly with other associations or partners, from inside/outside the ESA
- Provide and improve knowledge, skills and help to evolve attitudes in the field of Anaesthesiology through web-based services
- Develop and promote the ESA Learning Management System (LMS) and related activities
- Define the educational focus and major topics to add to the ESA LMS and to develop eLearning strategies for the future
- Identify, develop and evaluate new eLearning methods, techniques and content; such as new technology initiatives and “best practice” eLearning projects
The appointed chairperson will be required to attend at least 1 meeting of the eLearning Committee at the annual Euroanaesthesia Congress and several WebEx (teleconference) meetings throughout the year. Travel expenses to attend meetings of the Committee are provided according to standard ESA policy.
Applications are encouraged from active ESA members who meet the following criteria:
- Previously committee experience in ESA teaching, educational or scientific activities
- A profound knowledge of learning methodology and its application in clinical practice
- Author of several eLearning modules
- Previous practical and IT-related experience/involvement in eLearning
- Knowledge of the didactics of training and education and profound knowledge of alignment of intended learning outcomes, learning methods, evaluation and clinical practice
- Previous activities in eLearning (production, development, maintenance, etc…)
- Experience in Social Media as marketing tool (optional)
- Publications in education or training (optional)
- Master of Medical Education (optional)
The mandate is for three years, plus 1.5 years as Past Chairperson. For continuity, the Past-Chairperson will remain a member of the relevant Committee for 18 months after the end of his/her term as Chairperson.
If you are interested, and wish to apply, please send your CV (2 pages) and application letter (detailing the adherence to the requirements above) and disclose any conflict of interest you may have to the eLearning Committee firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 30 March 2020 (23:59 CET) with the following subject ‘ESA eLearning Committee Chairperson – vacancy 2020’.
Appointment will be made by the ESA Board following recommendation by the Nominations Committee. It is possible that interviews will be held at the ESA Secretariat to select the successful candidate.
If you would like to discuss any aspect of this post, please contact:
Prof. Leila Niemi-Murola
eLearning Committee Chairperson
For more information about the eLearning Committee, please visit the ESA website.