The Hypnos Foundation was instituted by Prof. D. Thomson in 1992 at the Department of Anaesthesiology, Inselspital, University of Berne, Switzerland. The aim of this foundation was to support education in anaesthesiology in Eastern European countries. The Hypnos Foundation has awarded travel grants to anaesthetists in training enabling them to come and spend time in its institution. Furthermore, the foundation has also given grants to help establish education facilities in Eastern European countries.
In 2000, the Hypnos Foundation decided to support Eastern European candidates applying for the Part II of the European Diploma in Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care. In the beginning of 2007, the Hypnos Foundation was dissolved and funds were transferred to the ESA to continue the goal of the Hypnos Foundation in supporting education in anaesthesia and intensive care in Eastern European countries.
Hypnos Grant winners will receive:
- The Part II examination fee (370 Euro).
- A contribution towards the travel and accommodation expenses incurred by the EDAIC Part II examination up to a maximum of 300 Euro (provided that original receipts for travel to and accommodation at the examination venue are received by the ESA Examinations Office)
And, for successful Part II candidates:
- The EDAIC Part II Completion Fee (340 Euro)
- A contribution towards the travel and accommodation expenses incurred by the attendance at the European Diploma Presentation Ceremony of the Euroanaesthesia congress up to a maximum of 300 Euro (provided that original receipts for travel to and accommodation at the congress venue are received by the ESA Examinations Office).
Eligibility and Regulations
- Must be resident and work in one of the countries listed under the ESA membership category “Reduced Fee Countries”. Only the countries listed under the ESA membership category “Reduced Fee Countries” will be eligible for the Hypnos Grant.
- Must have been successful at the EDAIC Part I examination. Preference will be given to candidates who passed the EDAIC Part I examination at the first attempt.
- Must be taking the Part II examination for the first time and must fulfil all conditions to sit the EDAIC Part II examination. This means that candidates who paid a reduced Part I fee will have to pay the Part I Upgrade fee to be eligible for the Part II examination. This fee can be paid after the announcement of the Hypnos Grant winners.
- Cannot be working for industry.
To be considered for the Hypnos Grant, eligible applicants must e-mail to the ESA Examinations Office:
- Their Hypnos Grant application form.
- Evidence that they are registered in anaesthesiology in one of the eligible countries.
- A copy of their diploma of specialist in anaesthesiology (and, should this document not be written in one of the languages used for the EDAIC Part I or Part II examinations, a certified translation into English; this document can be sent in the year of the Part II examination).
A letter written in English from their department to certify that they are in the last year of their specialist training (the last year of training must start before or on the day of the Part II registration deadline).
- A short Curriculum Vitae of maximum one page written in English language.
- A recent picture of themselves.
The application deadline for the Hypnos Grant is mentioned on the Hypnos Grant application form. The Hypnos Grant cannot be given retroactively: candidates who already passed the Part II examination cannot apply for the Hypnos Grant.
Hypnos Grant Managing Group
The Hypnos Grant Managing Group will select the recipients of the grants on the basis of the received applications. The decision of the Hypnos Grant Managing Group is final. A maximum of five grants can be awarded every year. Less than five grants will be given if less than five applicants are found eligible for the grant in a particular year.
The Hypnos Grant Managing Group is made of three members:
- Frank Stüber - Chairperson of the Department of Anaesthesiology at the University Hospital of Berne
- Josef Wichelewski - ESA Treasurer
- Marcin Sicinski - Appointed member of the Examinations Committees